Do you shudder when you hear someone cough nearby because you just know you’re going to get sick? Do you often complete a course of antibiotics to treat an infection, only for it to return a month later? You are not alone! Hordes of people are frequently unwell with upper respiratory tract infections (URTIs), influenza (flu), ear infections, and a multitude of other recurrent infections. So what is it that decreases your immune system function – and what can you do about it?
Has Your Immune System Gone on Strike?
Several factors have the potential to diminish your immune function and make you more susceptible to getting sick; these include stress, a lack of regular exercise, inadequate sleep, and poor nutrition. Frequent antibiotic use, which often goes hand in hand with repeated infections, can also contribute to lowered immunity. It’s true that antibiotics serve an essential purpose in eliminating bacterial infections to help you feel well again.
However, they are commonly over-prescribed for viral infections (such as colds, flus, and URTIs), even though they do not have any beneficial effect against viruses – in fact, more recent research indicates that antibiotics may even strengthen the virulence of viruses.
This overuse of antibiotics can not only reduce their efficacy, but also unbalance the ‘good’ bacteria in your gut, further compromising your immunity. So you may be asking “what’s the solution?” Fortunately, there are natural treatments available which can help to strengthen your immune system and keep you well for longer.
Can you imagine a life in which you feel vibrant and healthy? With the correct immune support, this could be a reality! Ask our Practitioner about natural immune support – both as a preventative measure and also if you have caught a bug.
Lifestyle Tips to Improve Your Immune Defences
In addition to taking immune enhancing herbs and mushrooms, there are numerous ways you can support healthy immunity through your diet and lifestyle choices:
- Rest! You may be surprised by how effective your immune system can be when you give it a chance. Ensure you get a good night’s sleep and let your body work its magic.
- Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. These foods contain abundant immune supportive vitamins and minerals including vitamin C and zinc.
- Eliminate or avoid pro-inflammatory foods and foods that increase mucous production – these include wheat, sugar and dairy.
- Go for garlic and ginger. Garlic is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent and an immune booster. Ginger helps to warm you up and fends off illness by reducing inflammation. Ginger and garlic should be fresh not from a jar, preserved or powder.
- Drink plenty of purified water. It is essential that you keep hydrated. When you are unwell, fluids are rapidly lost through having a runny nose, coughing, and sweating.
- Unwind. While it may be difficult to reduce stress in your life, it is possible to manage stress more effectively. Participate in yoga, meditation, and deep breathing exercises 3 to 4 times a week, or as often as needed.
Embrace A Life Of Wellness!
If recurrent infections are an issue for you, speak with our Practitioner today about boosting your immune function to get well and stay well. Kick sickness to the kerb, break the antibiotic cycle and enjoy a life of health, happiness and vitality!
Call True Medicine on 07-5530 1863 to arrange an appointment.