What is Detoxification?
Detoxification is the process where:
- the body excretes toxic chemicals that it has been exposed to from the environment and diet, and
- the body excretes harmful compounds that are created during its own metabolism pathways (such as uric acid and excessive hormones)
Doesn’t the Body Detoxify Naturally?
Yes! The body has its own amazing 24/7 detoxification process to clear out metabolic compounds and to some extent, toxic chemicals as well. But in the modern world, the load of manufactured chemicals (such as the ones found in found in household products, air pollution, preservatives and colours in foods) are much higher than ever before. This means that our natural detoxification processes can become overburdened.
Due to this increased chemical load, our bodies can benefit from help to support our inbuilt detoxification pathways, to help increase the elimination of detrimental compounds. This is especially true when we are exposed to a range of artificial chemicals such as pesticides, herbicides, preservatives and various other industrial chemicals that our bodies were never meant to detoxify in the first place.
What are the Symptoms of Overburdened Detoxification Pathways?
Toxic chemicals & harmful compounds can build up and cause a wide range of side effects such as:
- Lack of energy
- Skin rashes
- Reduced concentration
- Increased intolerances and sensitivities to chemicals
- and many more
What are Some Easy Ways to Support Detoxification?
- Increased hydration – As a large number of compounds are eliminated from the body through water, it is necessary to drink enough purified water to support detoxification.
- Eating enough protein – A large number of the molecules and substances involved in detoxification pathways are created from the various amino acids present in protein.
- Movement – Routine movement is one of the most effective ways to detoxify – to increase the movement of the lymphatic system (one of our primary detoxification systems) of the body.
- Sleep – Many detoxification and maintenance processes that cannot be completed when awake, happen when we’re asleep. (So make sure you’re getting enough!)
Can Supplements Help?
Ideally, the body is able to detoxify everything through its own natural elimination pathways such as through the skin, lungs, gastrointestinal tract and urinary system. However, since we are now exposed to more chemicals than ever before, we can often use a helping hand that support our own natural processes.
Firstly, making sure that we are eating a healthy and varied diet will help to support our bodies natural detoxification pathways.
However, to further support natural detoxification, detoxifying products that can help us excrete harmful compounds can routinely be used to support detoxification.
For support on how to best ensure your body is able to eliminate toxins, contact us to arrange a consultation.