Deficiencies of EPA, DHA and GLA can lead to dry, rough and problematic skin that is prone to inflammation, premature ageing and uneven pigmentation.
EPA deficiencies have been associated with several clinical disorders such as atopic dermatitis, psoriasis and acne.
A large and growing body of evidence indicates that supplementing with EPA and DHA from fish oil and GLA from borage or evening primrose oil, benefits all skin types. Studies have shown that increased intake of DHA led to improvements in eczema and that increased levels of GLA in elderly people led to a reduction in skin water loss and to improved skin function. Recent studies have also shown that EPA inhibits the ultra-violet radiation-related damage that causes tissue damage, premature ageing and wrinkles.
Adequate Omega-3 levels can:
- Strengthen barrier function
- Increase ceramide production
- Increase hydration via Natural Moisturising Factor (NMF)
- Increase nutrient absorption
- Reduce inflammation and slow the ageing process
- Assist in waste elimination
- Prevent free radical damage
- Inhibit the release of enzymes that destroy collagen
Remember that not all fish oils sold are quality. Seek either Nordic Naturals or Orthoplex products. Fish oils should always be stored in the refrigerator to prevent rancidity.
True Medicine stocks only quality Omega-3 oils.