Staring at the ceiling at 2:30 am, unable to sleep, is usually low on people’s list of favourite pastimes. Affecting anyone at any age, insomnia (difficulties falling asleep or staying asleep) and/or waking unrefreshed can be some people’s reality. Research shows that adults who get fewer than seven hours of sleep (whether for just one night or over the course of days, weeks, or months) experience daytime consequences such as irritability, fatigue, and poor memory. Sleep deprivation not only has detrimental effects on your work life, relationships and wellbeing, but increases the risk of ongoing health problems. If you or someone you know is having trouble sleeping – it’s important to get some support.
Herbal Solutions for Counting Sheep
Lack of sleep does not have to be a fact of life. There are natural medicines that can help promote a restful, nurturing night’s sleep, without leaving you feeling groggy.
Sleep is not a luxury – it is a necessity, so reducing or avoiding the factors that can negatively impact sleep can be the key to getting the rest you need.
Sleep enhancing tips:
- Reduce or eliminate stimulants, i.e. caffeine and sugar;
- Go to bed at the same time each night;
- Create a dark sleeping environment with comfortable temperature and fresh air;
- Invest in a comfortable mattress and bedding;
- Limit alcohol consumption;
- Avoid eating late – try and have dinner earlier
- Avoid carbohydrates after 5:00 pm – this includes sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes and alcohol
- Practice relaxation exercises, or read a book in bed;
- Reduce screen time an hour before bed, i.e. phones, computers or TV. In the evening, utilise an app that inverts the screen lighting to create black backgrounds with white text;
- Find a meditation that helps you relax; and
- Get regular exercise, fresh air and safe sun exposure.
A restful and restorative night’s sleep prepares you for the day ahead. At True Medicine we can help identify the underlying causes of disturbed sleep, and offer quality natural medicines to help you overcome your sleepless nights. Arrange an appointment today by calling 07 5530 1863