Is your body acidic?
Western populations are currently facing an epidemic of chronic mild metabolic acidosis (CMMA), reported to be largely the result of inadequate alkalising vegetables and fruit in our diet relative to the acidifying effect of animal foods and grains, which dominate the western plate.
CMMA has a pervasive negative effect on human physiology, most clearly demonstrated in the renal, immune, cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems, and is likely to contribute to some of the major chronic diseases faced by western countries: Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis.
So what does this mean for you?
In order to identify if your body is acidic, there are several tests available: a urinary pH test which you can do at home; blood test to assess levels of bicarbonate and anions in serum. If these show that you may have CMMA, your naturopath will seek to identify possible causes and address these.
Contributors to CMMA:
- Diet high in grains – breads, pasta, baked goods, pastries, processed foods, take-aways
- Diet high in animal foods – dairy, meat (especially grain fed beef), eggs, chicken, fish
- Diet low in vegetables and fruit
- Drinking coffee, tea, alcohol
- Not drinking sufficient purified water
- Extreme exercise
- Medications, in particular ant-acids
- Some diets – Keto, Paleo (these are fine for health reasons and for short periods)
- Lack of sleep
Symptoms of CMMA:
- Calcification of joints and bone spurs
- Skin problems
- Low energy, fatigue
- Digestive discomfort
- Gall or kidney stones
- Irritable bowel syndromes, diarrhoea
- Type 2 diabetes
- Joint and muscle pain
What’s the solution?
If you have been found to have CMMA, your naturopath will discuss various options that may apply to you – these may include modification of lifestyle and diet. It may also be necessary to help restore the body’s pH using supplements or herbal medicines. You can monitor changes in your body’s pH levels at home by checking your urine with litmus testing papers – ask your naturopath for more information.
Remember that acidity fuels inflammation and that inflammation is generally at the root of all major diseases.
Arrange a personal assessment today by calling True Medicine on 07 – 5530 1863.