The British Allergy Foundation estimates that about half the Western population suffers from food intolerance. At least 70% of patients who adhere to a tailored elimination diet experience significant improvements. This is a very important consideration in light of the fact that many chronic health conditions involve immune responses.
What makes identification of intolerances so challenging that no single sign or symptom is pathognomonic – that just means that one single food protein can cause four different symptoms in four different people.
(Prof Trevor a Sheldon, Uni of New York, Nov 2000).
What are some symptoms of food intolerances?
- Digestive – IBS, Crohn’s disease, colitis, gastritis, coeliac, loose stools/constipation, bloating, indigestion
- Respiratory – asthma, hay fever
- Nervous system – ADHD, hyperactivity, autism, schizophrenia, migraine
- Skin – eczema, urticarial, dermatitis, acne, oedema
- Ear, nose & throat – rhinitis, angular stomatitis, otitis media
as well as rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and obesity.
How do I find out what foods are causing me problems?
True Medicine offers clinical testing through US BioTek who are world leaders in allergy testing. The test involves a single finger prick to obtain a blood sample. Reports are very comprehensive providing IgA, IgE and IgG antibody results.
Stool testing is used to assess digestive health and ascertain the condition of your gut immunity. There’s more to good gut health than probiotics.
Treatment strategies will include:
- minimising or eliminating exposure to offending foods
- healing membranes and tissue
- restoring balance and harmony to your immune system
If you would like a comprehensive clinical assessment, contact True Medicine today on 07 5530 1863 to book an appointment.