The countless names of illnesses do not really matter. What does matter is that they all come from the same root cause… too much tissue acid waste in the body!
– Theodore A. Baroody, N.D., D.C., Ph.D.
Stress is proven negatively affect the acid-base balance in the body by increasing acid levels. However, when in an acidic state the body requires more cortisol to excrete the excess acid, which eventually can lead to subclinical acidosis and numerous health conditions.
Although stressful events may be an inevitable part of life, solutions do exist. The optimum conditions for the metabolic functions in the body can be re-established.
Both stress and acidity raise cortisol impacting on many functions within the body including:
- kidney function
- muscle wasting
- loss of bone density and increased risk of fractures
- central obesity
- insulin resistance
- impaired cognition
All the above are very commonly seen conditions in our modern-day society.
There are several things you can do to help support your body’s acid-base balance:
- aim to consume 600g of non-starchy fresh vegetables and fruit daily (preferably organic or unsprayed)
- drink purified water daily – the amount will vary depending on your needs but usually 2 litres/day is a general recommendation
- avoid highly processed grains, sugars, soft drinks, alcohol and caffeine
- avoid extreme or severely limiting “diets“
- incorporate stress-management into your daily routine – with so many options including moderate exercise, crafts, meditation, yoga, or whatever works for you
- ensure you get enough quality sleep every day
Always consult a qualified Naturopath for individualised assessment of your needs and support.